I-9 Verification for Teen Interns
Welcome to your After School Matters Internship!
Here are a few things you need to do before your program starts.
All ASM internships require teens to submit an I-9 form before they start their program. After accepting your internship offer you will be asked to sign up for a document collection day so you can submit your necessary documentation. At the document collection site, you will be asked to present certain documents like your birth certificate or social security card for I-9 verification and to be sure all names match in our system. Let’s get started!
- Step 1: Schedule your document collection day below.
- Step 2: Gather your Social Security Card and other required documents.
- Step 3: Collect the documents you’ll need to complete the I-9 Form. Original documents only, no photocopies.
- Step 4: Present your documents on the date and time you selected.
Click on your preferred location to schedule your I-9 verification:
Lutz Center – 3435 N Cicero Ave. Chicago, IL 60641
Gately Park – 10201 S Cottage Grove Ave. Chicago, IL 60628
Gallery 37 – 66 E Randolph St. Chicago, IL 60601If you have questions, please contact our Teen Hotline at 312-846-5199.
Social Security Card:
The name on your card must match your name in our system. We will review this when you arrive at the event.
- If you don’t have one, you can apply for one here; or search for a Chicago-area SSA office near you using this tool.
- To apply for a Social Security card:
- Find your birth certificate + ONE Evidence of Identity (i.e. Driver’s License, State ID, etc.)
- Print and fill out Social Security Application
- Apply in person or by mail
- Once you receive your card make copies and store in a safe place
||I-9: Proof of Identity and Employment Authorization Documents
Bring one document from List A
- List A (Identity and Employment Authorization) includes: U.S. Passport, U.S. Passport Card, Permanent Resident Card. You only need one unexpired document from this list.
One document from List B and one document from List C
- List B (Identity) includes: Drivers’ license, State ID card, School ID card with photograph, Voter Registration Card, Report Card (if you’re under 18 years old), School Record (if you’re under 18 years old).
- List C (Employment Authorization) includes: Social Security Card, Birth Certificate, Employment Authorization document issued by DHS.
- If you don’t have a State ID, Driver’s License, or Passport already, go to CyberDriveIllinois.com for instructions on how to obtain one.
- You may also provide your birth certificate as proof of age if you do not have a photo ID.
- Click here and scroll to page 3 to view the full list of acceptable documents.
Make sure your documents have not expired.
Sample Document Combinations that you can bring:
*If you bring an expired document and do not have other documents to complete your I-9 Form, you will have to return at a later date/time to provide unexpired documentation.